Total Revolution Management Console - sign up for a free trial today.

TRMC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Create your own repository
First of all there's been a lot of confusion on what a "repository" is so let's clear that up first...

In XBMC/Kodi speak a repository originally referred to 2 separate things which worked with one another:

Example 1: "You can find the latest code on my repository"

Definition: This is the online location a developer submits their code to, 99% of the time this is a version control system (VCS) such as git or svn. Github and bitbucket are popular services to use as they are trusted (have both been around for a decade) as well as being fast and free to use.

Example 2: "To get my latest add-ons install my repository in Kodi"

Definition: This is the repository zip file that's installed into Kodi. Essentially this is just a hidden add-on who's sole task is to link up to your development repository (example 1) and it scans for the content on there and will allow users to install that content via the built-in Kodi add-on management system.

The main reason for using a repository opposed to just getting users to install a zip of your add-on is because a repository will check for updates and update the users of when newer versions are available (or auto-install if you have that option enabled in Kodi). There was a time long ago where a number of developers chose not to use a repo and it soon became a support headache as they would never be sure what version of the add-on a user had installed. As there was no way for the add-on to auto update it relied solely on the end user manually checking for updates via the support forum.

As you can see the word "repository" refers to 2 different things but they are essentially the same thing; combined together they create one global entity known as a "repository" but depending on how your phrase it you can be referring to two separate things.

Now if that wasn't already confusing enough there's another instance of the word "repository". When you add a source to file manager in Kodi a number of people refer to that as a repository, I'm old skool and will never refer to it as that - to me it always has been and always will be known as a "source".

Strictly speaking (by the definition of the word) a "repository" is grammatically correct but in Kodi terms that's not really the case. A source has nothing to do with the first 2 examples, it's just a source you add into Kodi file manager to make it easier to access and install zip files.

These sources can contain whatever content you want, a source isn't used in any way by the Kodi system unless it's a media location you've added which is used for scanning in your local video/music library. A "repository" type source literally does nothing other than offer an easy solution for the end user to temporarily access whatever content is on that server.

The most common use for these sources is to offer somewhere to host the repository zip file (example 2) and once that zip is installed the source you added is no longer needed. Kodi certainly has no interest in it and it's unlikely you'll ever need it again either. They cause no harm being on your device, it doesn't offer any kind of backdoor access and they don't take up any space, it's just down to the end users preference on whether or not they keep them. All that being said there has been at least one developer who's added checks in their add-on code which searches to see if you have their source added to your file manager and if you don't then their add-ons will auto-delete. The reason for adding this code is unclear but this is something added by the developer and Kodi itself has no influence on this.

Can I use a repository (example 1) as a source?
If using a service such as github or bitbucket the answer is no, these services do not offer indexed file hosting.

Basically a source must be a browsable indexed page, the best way to check is have a look in your web browser. It should be a very basic folder on a server which contains your files. Take a look at this example, this is created by simply uploading a few zip files to a server with an FTP client such as FileZilla (just drag and drop your files over to the server).

If you require somewhere to host your files you may be able to find a free solution but these often have strict bandwidth/hits limits so if too many people download your file(s) your account is suspended meaning the files are no longer accessible. The only real viable solution is to purchase your own hosting plan, these can be found at very reasonable rates - often from as little as $2-3 per month. Once you have a hosting plan you can use it for whatever you want, there's nothing stopping you from adding a hidden folder to the server and doubling up as a backup server for your important files/documents or even setup your very own website using free web software such as WordPress.

Full guide to creating your own repository (examples 1 & 2 covered):
I would highly recommend watching this guide from start to finish if you're thinking about creating your first add-on. This is definitely the best place to start, once you've watched this and fully understand the rest will become far easier to comprehend.

CREATE YOUR OWN REPOSITORY HERE
Use the link above to create your repository zip file which will automatically hook into the Python Koding framework repo.
Fantastic Article and A Awesome course Highly Recommend for everyone

Cheers
Thomas
Works for me!
I've just updated the first post, forgot to put a link in there to the repository creator.

It should create a repo linking to the correct Python Koding framework repo on github now too (totalrevolution/python-koding).